<VV> My Quarterly Engine Build

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 4 08:04:21 EST 2007

I must be a pretty good 1/4 mile drag engine builder.  Don't they rebuild
theirs every weekend, or every race?  Heck, mine lasts a whole 6 weeks.  :)
LOL

I misreported the original #s.  All cylinders had 150psi, #5 had 50psi, but
it was #1 that had 120, not #2.

I pulled the head and near the bottom of #5 was a 1/2 square inch chunk
missing between the top ring and the 2nd ring.  Both pieces of the rings are
gone.  The area above the top ring had deformed, enough to kiss the head
just a tiny bit.  I pulled the jug off #1 but didn't see anything apparent.
I pulled the engine when I saw this.

I was thinking about having to order pistons and rings, at least 2 to match
for #5 and #6, when I had an epiphany.  I realized I had 5 KB pistons, jugs,
and rods on the shelf.  Hummm, decided to give it a try.  I pulled them down
out of their zip lock bags.  Pulled one piston assy and weighed it.  It was
15 grams lighter than the one that broke.  Add in the piece that was missing
and it was plenty.  Checked, tested, honed, reinstalled #5 and #6 piston
assy into each jug.

When I got to #1 to see what was wrong, it was obvious the Total Seal was
still compressed.  I tried to pry it out but it broke into a million pieces.
  The piston _might_ be okay, but I didn't bother looking at it.  I quickly
decided that I would install my #1 and #2 KB pistons also.  After some
swapping around of rods (#5 KB piston was the one that got killed by the
dropped valve seat) to keep #1-#6 rods in the engine, "just because", I have
most of it on the table ready to go in.  Haven't found the piston though.
Might have gone out the exhaust, might be in the pan.  I'll pull the pan of
course.

I'll feel better when I have 4 KB pistons + 2 used w/Total Seal installed.
If the weather holds, might get it today.  It was pretty tough on my
attitude yesterday spening 6+ hours with 40mph winds whipping the dust
around.  I wrapped the engine up in a big pastic bag that came on a mattress
- it was gone in 5 mins, plus my car cover is off my convertible .  All my
parts are covered in oily dust/grit.

Oh well, thanks for all the help, advice, and well wishes.
(And don't bother telling me not to mix pistons in an engine.  It's
happening and at least I'm balancing L to R.)

Barry Ellison
Corsa SC