<VV> Corvair stories pt4?

kwoodke at comcast.net kwoodke at comcast.net
Sun Mar 4 18:25:43 EST 2007

Howdee. Been awhile since my last one. Has everybody run out of stories? I seem to be the only one since a few where related a month or so back. Oh well I have a couple left and here goes.

This is a two part tale and it starts with me swapping my 65 cpe for my Dad's pickup one weekend as I had many things to haul. Now my Dad smoked (alot) and I smoked cigars while I was commuting (about 25,000 a year). Now my cigar lighter was dying at that time I had a new one but hadn't swapped it in yet. My Dad kept worrying as it wouldn't popout. He was afraid it would fry or run down the battery so he took it out.

A couple of days later as we were leaving at the end of the day, about 4:00 one of the secretarys came out to the parking lot. This was unusual as it was late fall and chilly. About 40 degrees. Now I had joked with her in the office as she knew I had a real loud exhaust at the time. Also she said she had never seen a Vair before. This was my Thrush glass packs period. The duals were real loud. Not so bad at speed but I was leaving home at 5:00 AM. I had to idle till I got out of my neighborhood so as not to be stoned.

Now she was cute but I had no inclination that she was flirting with me (OK maybe I dreamed just a little). I knew she was interested in a couple of the younger less married guys. She came over to the car and asked me about the Vair. I showed her the engine and opened the trunk, she got a kick out of this.

I was feeling the cold and I mentioned I was going to start up and let it warm up. I got in the car checked for nuetral. I had the door open and my feet on the ground. Meanwhile one of the aforementioned guys came over and asked me what my mileage was. I was reaching to insert the key. I didn't really look at what I was doing. I answered as I stuck the key in. At that point I felt a shock and a blast of heat in my hand and saw  a flash on my audiences faces. It was almost dusk and the inside of the car lit up like a firecracker had gone off. I jumped and screamed.

I didn't know what had happened for a second or two. Finally the pain in my hand subsided I picked up my keys and found three of them were fused together! I had stuck them in the cigar lighter!!!! Well this was embarrassing and some others came over and we all laughed. I wore a bandage and first aid cream for a week. I had a scar on my thumb for a year.
I don't know why but I have a fetish about covering cigar lighter receptacles. BTW it didn't blow the fuse!

Be back later,
Keith Woodke.