<VV> Re. Re: Here we go again (Total Seal)

cwiland at zzz.com cwiland at zzz.com
Mon Mar 5 10:42:27 EST 2007

Crawford said:

"I recommend that the fellow with the leaking turbo carbon seal replace the
seal where he has seen that he has oil in his intake. It doesn't make sense
that the increased engine vacuum is causing the problem and I would
certainly not change the engine's piston rings because the turbo is leaking
oil!  Also, you may be permitting gasoline to wash into your turbo bearing
by continuing to run the turbo with a bad carbon seal."
  I have rebuilt my turbo with new seals and according to the shop
manual. I suppose I could have screwed that up but everything was set
up to specs in the manual. I have read of increased vacuum causing
this problem in Hugh McInness" book about turbochargers, so it does
make sense to me. Remember, the problem shows up at extended idle
periods where the vacuum is highest.
  I also don't think much gasoline could get past the seal since it is
on the intake vacuum side of the seal.

Craig