<VV> carburetors

Tamias Metis korvayrouille66 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 20:14:02 EST 2007

Has anyone achieved a good result by using a pair of the single barrel Solex 34mm with electric chokes.  This dual carb set up is marketed to the VW crowd.  The Solexes are similar in size to the Rochester carbs.  They are slightly larger than the Rochesters.  The jets are changeable.  I can easily fabricate intake manifolds for them by taking one of my old beat up turbo cross over pipes and cutting each end  and fabricating a mounting base on top so they sit just inches above the head where the 2 Rochesters went.    Linkage modification and fabrication is not a problem as I have done many VW's  and in the past one Corvair 110hp to center mount utilizing a turbocrossover pipe, modified to accept one two barrel Weber (32/36 DFEV  with 27mm venturi (primary) and 26mm venturi (secondary)  with 1.59mm primary main jet and 1.75 secondary main jet   ---this 32/36 progressive carb has electric choke and said to flow 300cfm from the factory -- using this set up on one of my cars
 for about six years, a 110 with Pertronix I , an electric fuel pump specifically rated around 3psi as these Webers require strict adherence to lower fuel pump psi rating than stock pump to perform correctly.  Using NGK B6HS spark plugs gapped to 0.028"  , I have been successfully running this car on 87 octane regular unleaded without any pinking or detonation.   The downside is that fuel economy is about 17mpg  as opposed to the 21mpg which was normal with the stock Rochesters, 93 octane, and Pertronix I.   With the stock set up, I was never able to use less than 91 octane and get away without any pinking.  --------Anyway I have another 110 that is in good shape that I'd like to toss the Rochesters... Ideally would like 20-24mpg on 87 octane without pinking.   I am not after a power increase so I am not considering dual 40 Weber IDA or IDFs dual throat or larger which I had seen on some modified Corvairs many years ago.  I am in my tinkering/experimental mode and am
 curious of your suggestions as such.  Any  thoughts on the Solex 34mm or the similar 35mm, 38mm  or possible use of Kadrons  40mm  or 34mm baby Webers.   Call me an old kook, nut or an idiot if you think thats the case --just remember to in the words of the legendary Howard Cosell to Tell it Like It Is or maybe Cosell got it from Aaron Neville...