<VV> Electric Fuel Pumps - One opinion (long)

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 09:49:42 EST 2007

In a message dated 3/14/2007 5:26:12 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
tconnolly at iepfire.com writes:

I am  getting ready to have my 64 110 converted to electric fuel pump and
would like  to hear any experiences people have had with various units.
1.  Reliability.
2. Noise, I have heard some can be annoying.
3. Possible  experienced failure rate.
Thanks,
Tom  Connolly

Tom - First, you are doing the right thing by asking for input before
plunging ahead. You will be provided with a lot of experience and opinions  for you
to sort through. At the time of the Corvair's design and  construction,
electric Fuel pumps were not very common, except in a few British  cars. Mechanical
fuel pumps were pretty much universal. Electric pumps were  not particularly
reliable (See "British cars" above.) The Corvair mechanical  pump was
originally very reliable, and may now be again. A number of years ago,  some bad
material, or more correctly, the wrong material was used in  manufacturing a large
number of aftermarket pumps. At about the same time, age  caught up with the
original design and construction of the pumps. Eventually,  even the original
mechanical pumps can fail. In the car, through fatigue of the  diaphragm, or via
an internal  valve popping out or still in the  box, the screws can back off,
causing a brand new pump to leak  gasoline out onto the motor. The diaphragm
failure was usually more insidious,  since failure usually caused gas to leak
into the crankcase of the motor,  contaminating the oil. This was usually
discovered when the oil level started  rising when checked on the dipstick. The
real tell-tale was the smell of the  contaminated oil. This is when the
controversy started. By the 70's, many more  cars started using electric pumps. GM
started using in-tank pumps even before  Fuel injection (which required electric
pumps) became universal. Generally  speaking in-tank pumps should not be used
externally because they are designed  to be cooled by surrounding fuel. All
electric pumps have to use some mechanical  method for moving the fuel along.
Some have a spinning electric motor, some have  an electric solenoid which kind
of duplicates the design of the Corvair's  original pump, using a pair of
check valves to capture and push the fuel along.  Factory electric pumps usually
had an extra circuit or two added for both safety  and long term pump life.
Most electric pump applications are designed to  pressurize the fuel system ahead
of the injectors. A fuel pump relay, including  a pressure switch, controls
the power to the pump, allowing the startup  pressurization of the system, and
the cutting off of the pump if the ignition is  shut down. In addition to
this, most vehicles have an impact switch set to  remove power from the pump after
a collision, this keep the pump from  adding fuel to the flame as a result of
a hard impact. I guess you must feel  like the guy who asked what time it was
and was told how to build a watch! But  here is the bottom line. There are
two basic types of electric pumps, rotary  pumps and diaphragm pumps. The rotary
pumps make a whining spinning noise, the  diaphragm models make a thumping
sound. Both can be annoying. The best method of  isolating the noise is by
choosing the best location, then keeping the noise  inside the pump by putting
something between the pump and any chassis appendage.  I have mounted pumps in the
area directly below the fuel tank and wrapped the  pump in a sound absorbing
material. That worked for me. I have also, for a  racing application, mounted
a rotary pump on the inner panel of the  front trunk. The result was a bit
noisy, but worked fine. Remember that it is  recommended that the pump be mounted
below the fuel level in the tank, most  electric pumps are reasonable fuel
"pushers" but lousy  pullers.
The most common installation is behind the tank, tucked in where debris
under the car won't snag on something. If wrapped in some kind of foam or audio
sound attenuating material. If you put an automatic shut-off valve, having it
controlled by oil pressure is one way that folks do it, you might want to add
either a microswitch to allow the driver to bypass the cut off or a switch
act  as a secondary cut-off. This can also be an effective anti-theft device.
Since the Corvair is a reasonably "frugal" vehicle, it doesn't use much gas
and so almost any pump will provide the oomph you need. Just try to  minimize
the noise - both at the pump and where you can actually hear it - in  the
drivers seat. I have used several different rotary pumps, but all were for  race
cars and all were pretty loud. My current pump installation is a small
in-line, wrapped in foam rubber, and powered through the ignition lead but  finally
controlled by an auxiliary switch hanging under the dash on a  switch panel. -
Seth Emerson

http://www.aol.com.