<VV> Re: 15" Tires and Wheels

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Wed Mar 14 22:56:22 EST 2007

At 08:34 PM 3/14/07 -0500, John Johnson wrote:

>I have a set of 15" 1979 Firebird Rally Wheels.  Will they fit on my '65
>Corsa Turbo Coupe?

Are these steel or aluminum wheels? 6" or 7" width? (measured from the tire
bead surfaces)  Either way, take a moment to check the back spacing
(measure from hub surface to a straight edge placed across the back
side).  The wheels should fit if the back spacing is 4-1/4" or less.  I
have a set of 15 X 7 (4-1/4" back spacing) aluminum wheels from a '81 Z-28
Camaro on our '65 Corsa.

>   If so, what size tire would you recommend?  I do not want to do any
> major alterations to the suspension or body.  Thanks for any help you can
> give me.

I have 205/60R15 tires all of the way around on our Corsa. This size is
very close to the diameter of the OEM tires but significantly wider.  The
front tires on our car come within about 1/4 - 3/8" of the front edge
fender inner lip with the wheels partly turned and the suspension
compressed.  I would not try to use any larger tire on the front.  Several
members have reported that tires up to 245 section width will fit the
rear.  Both the 245/50R15 and 225/55R15 tires are very near the same
diameter as the 205/60R15, but there are many other
possibilities--especially if you use a slightly larger OD tire for the
rear.  Please report back and let us know what you decide to get and how
they work out.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

--