<VV> Re: 15" Tires and Wheels

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Mar 15 07:09:57 EST 2007

On Mar 14, 2007, at 11:56 PM, Dale Dewald wrote:

> At 08:34 PM 3/14/07 -0500, John Johnson wrote:
>
>> I have a set of 15" 1979 Firebird Rally Wheels.  Will they fit on my
>> '65 Corsa Turbo Coupe?
>
> Are these steel or aluminum wheels? 6" or 7" width? (measured from the
> tire bead surfaces)  Either way, take a moment to check the back
> spacing (measure from hub surface to a straight edge placed across the
> back side).  The wheels should fit if the back spacing is 4-1/4" or
> less.  I have a set of 15 X 7 (4-1/4" back spacing) aluminum wheels
> from a '81 Z-28 Camaro on our '65 Corsa.

A correction - you can easily run more than 4 1/4" backspace with 15"
wheels.  I have a set with 5 1/4" backspace.  The limit for 15s is
different than 13" wheels because the 13s will hit the suspension.
With the larger diameter the limit is greater, and works out to just
under 5 1/2".  I would consider 4 1/4" more the minimum than the
maximum.

More info at http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

--Bryan