<VV> Re: Converting backup lights to taillights

bub049 at comcast.net bub049 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 18 00:10:55 EST 2007

Hi Arjay,

I have done it several times and am in the process of doing it for my 62 sedan. The easiest conversions are turning the backup lights into either taillights OR stop/turn signal lights. You would just splice the wire for each backup light socket into the circuit on that side of the car for the stop/turn conversion or into the taillight circuit (or license light) to convert the backups to taillights. Then, of course, replace the backup lens with a solid red lens.
I am converting my 62 backups into a combination stop/turn/taillights so they are twins to the original stop/turn/taillights that came with the car. In this case, I used a Dremel tool to cut out the original single contact back up light socket and replaced it with a dual contact socket. I use the Calterm brand #08532 replacement socket at around $2 to $4 depending on your FLAPS. You can also use Clarks dual contact soctet #C6172 to provide a near factory fit and look. Clark's socket has to be installed and 'peened' over to retain it in the housing just like the original. This socket is probably the best as it is the tighest, but at $21.00 per socket, I looked for a cheaper solution. Timinbovey from northern Minnesota gave me the tip on the Calterm sockets. They are a universal fit and plug into holes from 7/8" to 1 1/8".  I have not had any failures so far. You will also need a heavier duty flasher if you convert to stop/turn signals.
At the same time I convert the lights, I also solder a ground wire to the outside of the new socket to provide a good ground for the lights. Surprising how much brighter the lights are with the soldered ground wire.
Then you can put the original backup lens' into the Ultra Pool or eBay.

Email me off list if you need any more info.

Bob Johnston
Frostbite Falls, MN
CORSA since 72