<VV> What Dave Newell says re: that "Futura" thing on eBay

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Sun Mar 18 11:24:21 EST 2007

With Dave Newell's permission, I am passing along what he told me about that
"Futura" thing on eBay.

~Bill Stanley

<It's basically just a customized Lakewood, although very well done. It was
built by an individual, but inspired by a Kaiser design. I'd love to own it but
it looks like it would be pretty uncomfortable to drive and hard to contort
into the driver's seat!

In the early to mid sixties, Kaiser, US Steel, McLouth Steel, Copper & Brass
Industry Assn, etc all were showing concept vehicles at shows or at least
sketches of them in their ads. The idea was to promote the use of their metal in
production cars. Kaiser's concepts were just renderings that ran in their
ads...they were never built. One of them was the "Waimea" designed by Miller, which
looked something like this custom. The builder must have based this car on
the Waimea, although the Kaiser ads said nothing about a Corvair (or any)
powerplant or any chassis type for the car.

This job, the "Futura", was built after the '60s. Relatively recently as I
recall. Note the 63 Grand Prix headlamp assemblies and parking lights, and the
Nash "Uniscope" speedo/gauge assy! The Lakewood front door hinge posts look
like they're in the stock location but with coupe doors. And an early sedan rear
window.

A very nice job by an individual, but no commercial heritage or history.

Thanks,
Dave>