<VV> Engine Temperature Issue

Luke Duddridge LCDuddridge at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 19:06:33 EST 2007

Hello All,

I would appreciate some guidance with my vair.  It is a 150 hp '64' Turbo Spyder.  You guys have given me some pretty good answers up to now, so I am opting for another dip into your well of knowledge.

It seems to be running okay with the exception that, to me, it's running very hot.  On a cool spring day, In normal traffic, driving at about 50 to 55 MPH the cylinder head temperature rises to 400 degrees.  It may ultimately get higher and I am not giving it time to do so.  I've had the car for 9 months and I am still in the rebuilding process, so I don't yet drive it far or for very long.

After it gets that warm it gets the vapors and faints when I stop for traffic.  Now, that maybe that I have the idle speed set to low and I'm just not sure.

What I'd like to know is:

1.     Is 400 degrees abnormal?

2.     If it's abnormal any suggestions as to where to look for the problem? I've checked the belt it's good and the fan turns freely.

3.     I currently have the idle speed set at 800 rpm is that to low??

4.     What's the correct idle speed?

Thanx, Pax,

Luke
'64' Turbo Spyder Convertible