<VV> Re: Holy Corvairs Batman........

chevrobilia at juno.com chevrobilia at juno.com
Fri Mar 23 07:34:46 EST 2007

Well, it happened, but not quite as described by the seller. I'm sure the
Dynamic Duo would have much preferred a 'Vair ride to the Barris-ized
Lincoln Futura concept car that they actually used in the TV series. But
the '65 convert in these photos had nothing to do with TV other than
borrowing the campy Bat-theme. And it definitely wasn't a GM concept car.

I'm acquainted with the GM Canada engineer who owned this car. He and a
test engineer got the idea of doing a Batmobile look-alike to use in a
fund raising parade, for the 1966 Oshawa Civic Auditorium Centennial
Project. The various appendages were mostly cardboard, stuck to the car.
They even had a tape recorder in the back seat wired to speakers, which
pumped out the whine of a jet that was ready to take off.

The photos were used to publicize the parade and the charity, through GM
Canada public relations. But there was no official connection to the TV
super heroes or their producers.

If you hurry, you can still own that Corvair "Futura" one-off
that got so much attention last week. Bidding's up to $17,100 but the
auction closes in 16 hours: eBay 230105782074
Dave Newell

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 06:32:30 -0400 "Gary Swiatowy"