<VV> 64 Engine in 65 / Oil leaks

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sat Mar 24 19:53:55 EST 2007

Oddly enough, this subject is being discussed over at Corvair Center too.

A thin black coating may increase the radiation of heat (as well as absorbtion - it depends on where the greater heat is) but the cooling that happens comes  predominantly from conduction/convection.  The heat in the oil is conducted thru the metal of the tube to the air flowing past.  Any coating between the metal and the air could act as an insulator.  Certainly a thin (or very thin) coating of BBQ paint would offer very little insulation.  The question is, does its increase in emissivity justify its being there.  I don't know, it seems unlikely though.  It would help with rust though.

Same thing applies to the valve covers and oil pan (and cylinders and block and...)

Why are radiators on water pumpers black then?  Guys on CC say for corosion protection and appearance.  Some hi-perf radiators I've seen on Overhaulin and such are bare aluminium.

mikeH