<VV> Need help with steering wheel installation

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Sat Mar 24 18:56:46 EST 2007

Hi folks. I recently transplanted a '67 standard 'vair steering column into
my '66 500 coupe. As a result, I have been coming up to speed about all of
the differences in the columns that were introduced in '67.

One thing that has been a real head-scratcher is getting my Grant
aftermarket steering wheel to install properly. I have talked to one of the
Grant engineers and there is a discrepancy between what I am observing and
what he believes to be true with regard to the design of their hub vs. the
stock GM hub.

Therefore, in my usual fashion (<g>), I need to collect some data to figure
out how steering wheels were mounted across the GM product line for '67 and
later. I am really serious about getting back to Grant with this info, so I
need lots of examples.

If you have access to '67 and later GM cars that are not Corvairs and that
have stock steering wheels, it would be extremely helpful if you could
answer the following questions. For the questions involving time, imagine
the center of the wheel is a clock face.

*	Year and model

*	Standard steering column or tilt/tele?

*	Location of hazard flasher switch. Is it 3:00 or somewhere else
(where?)?

*	Pop the horn button cap and then look at where the horn contact
pokes through the hub. Is it roughly 10:30 or somewhere else (where?)?

If you can get a picture of wheel with the horn button removed, that would
be really helpful too.

If you have just the steering wheel from a '67 and later GM product (not
Corvair) but not the whole steering column, please let me know because that
may help too.

If you want more details about what the problem is that I am seeing, please
let me know. I am happy to share.

Thanks.

P.S. Thanks to Craig Nicol for starting me off with a few wheels that he has
from non-Corvair parts cars.