<VV> Re: Engine Temperature Issues

Luke Duddridge LCDuddridge at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 25 10:38:25 EST 2007

Hello all,

I want to thank each of you for responding so constructively.

I was all ready certain that the temps were way out of line.  Taking your collective suggestions I dropped the manifold covers to see what the actual condition of the cooling fins was.  The ugly truth is that the manifold covers have an inch think layer of grease and grime on them and the cooling fins are completely closed.  That explains my high temps.

I am going to try a slightly different cure than has been suggested.  I have the manifold covers off, next I am going to pull the spare tire, turbo, generator, and fan shield, clearing the top of the engine.  That should expose the cylinders and with the lower covers off I should see daylight below the engine.

The next step is pretty messy so I am going to roll the car out onto the lawn for an hour or two.  I have rented a high pressure steam cleaner and I plan to clean the fins with high pressure steam followed by a bath of Lime-away.  My hope is that this will remove most if not all the filth with out the risk of causing damage with a hack saw blade or drill bit.

Wish me luck and I'll let you all know the results.

Thanks again,          Pax,

Luke