<VV> how hot is my piston but not push rod tube / oil / exhaust manifold, etc

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sun Mar 25 08:18:49 EST 2007

here is a link to a tech paper investigating effect of varying the thickness of a thermal coating on diesel piston temperature.  Looks like a batch of previous theoretical work used to make up, I mean calculate, the "boundary conditions" for the edges of ths solid model made in an FEA program by folks at a fine US university.   No engine parts were harmed in the writing of this tech paper.

The coating is not barbecue paint, and the thineest coating was 0.1 mm (0.004 inch).  0.004 inch is a thick paint job. But I thought it was moderately interesting anyway.  I believe The conclusion on page 6 is "thicker coating, cooler piston"

Note all the heat transfer in the solid model is conduction, since within the model there are no fliuds available for convection, or separated surfaces for radiation.

The names of most of the contributors and authors of the cited references only reinforce the common perception that folks from other lands may take education a bit more seriously than "we" do.

http://www.mrs.org/s_mrs/bin.asp?CID=2504&DID=57892&DOC=FILE.PDF

--
Dan Timberlake