<VV> Painting pushrod tubes/engine cooling

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 26 08:07:17 EST 2007

Folks,

     My son Doran and I, who are building a moderately modified 140, went  a slightly different route.  I am still more concerned with heat absorbption by oil in the push rod tubes, given how close they are to the exhausat manifolds.  So we've had Jet Hot ceramic coat the exhaust manifolds (after some mild porting/cleaning them up) as well as the push rod tubes (after thoroughly cleanin/sanding the insdie and out).  Sprung for the higher dollar silver coating on the manifolds as it's supposed to reduce the surface temperature by some 300 degrees (only cost $50 extra).  I know some folk have said that painting/coating the exhausts means you won't get enough heat out of the heater, but here in North Carolina that should be fine (and we've completly re-done the heating system with hi-speed motor and plastic fan).

     In addition we have, of course, de-flashed both heads, and we'll be using a deep, finned black oil pan, and finned black rocker covers.  I really do think that the oil does some significant cooling, and our goal is to help the oil stay cool as much as possible.  We will be running synthetic oil, but we just want the engine to last.

     The motor won't be together for another month or 2, so we won't really know how all of this works together, but we'll let folk know after the car has been on the road for a while.

                Travis Payne     65 Monza coupe
                Raliegh, NC