<VV> API and ZDDP

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 26 05:46:25 EST 2007

Matt:  >   ...we discussed in length last year.

You do a dis-service here Matt -- that discussion was last year, and
things have changed -- Delo 15W-40 is commonly now available to the
retail consumer only as a CJ-4 oil, among other things [do you know how
much ZDDP is in it?] -- lubricants are changing fast in today's
marketplace and we need to stay abreast of those changes.  Mobil 1
V-Twin 20W-50 at ten bucks a quart should not be our only viable option.

Yes, the need for an acceptable oil for (especially) the vintage air
cooled crowd in light of today's newer CJ & SM API converter friendly
formulations has now arrived and folks who ignored last year's
discussions are now faced with figuring out what they are going to do
*now* since their old formulations are no longer available and the stuff
that was in the marketplace "last year" is not what is in today's
marketplace.

There was a lot of what I would understand to be good information in Mr.
Ansell's commentary -- Thank you Bob for forwarding it.

Some of us get this on multiple fronts, here for our Corvairs, elsewhere
for the old Porsches, and then from someplace else for both old and new
motorcycles. I suppose there are folks with aircraft issues, also. We
all have the same situation and the same air cooling.

Some of the best advise I've heard is to add some of GM's EOS or the
4-Cylinder STP products to every oil change, regardless of the oil you
are using.

An excellent discussion with current (this year's) oil analysis values
by Charles L Navarro may be found at
     http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

There is another very informative article on 'The Evolution of Base Oil
Technology' provided by Chevron (if their site is working now) at
http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/baseoils/docs/ebot.pdf , along
with numerous other current discussions that can be found on the
internet by a little used method know as googling.

As well as last year's discussion on VV, which covered many aspects of
the approaching problem including substantial coverage of just what the
problem was going to be and why.  The choices of what to do about it
have in many instances had to wait to see what products actually became
available.  VirtualVairs Archives
<http://www.vv.corvair.org/pipermail/virtualvairs/> or
http://www.vv.corvair.org/pipermail/virtualvairs/  -- anyone remember
the Subject lines of this discussion?  Seems like Bob Helt was a major
contributor of good information.

Bill Strickland