Fw: <VV> API and ZDDP & Brad Penn Oil

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Mar 26 14:23:25 EST 2007

At 06:43 AM 3/26/2007, BBRT wrote:

>----- Original Message ----- From: "BBRT" <chsadek at comcast.net>
>; <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2007 10:21 PM
>Subject: Re: <VV> API and ZDDP & Brad Penn Oil
>

>Great article, Bob.  You didn't mention Brad Penn oils, made at the refinery
>on Kendal St. in Bradford? PA where they used to make the Kendal GT green
>oil.  This oil is advertised as having the old additives, has the additives
>and is sold for racing, specifically for flat tappet cam engines. And it is
>green!  They also have a semi-synthetic oil.
>
>Chuck S
>BBRT
>YS73

It's worth mentioning that the "green oil" that was Kendall GT-1
racing oil did have lots of additives to protect high pressure
bearing surfaces such as flat tappet camshafts running serious valve
springs which were rough on lifters and cam lobes.

In fact, Crane Cams used to specifically mention Kendall GT-1 racing
oil in their product's installation instructions as recommended for
break-in of their cams.    I ran the Green Oil exclusively in my
Plymouth musclecar for years and nothing ever went wrong with
anything, and it was seriously flogged quite often.   Even with stiff
springs and a LOT of street use, when I eventually changed out the
cam for something a bit milder, the Crower Monarch cam and its
lifters which came out of the engine showed almost no wear after
years of running.    Neither did the rockers or pushrods, put 'em all
back in and went on.   The inside of the engine stayed clean as well.

I would swear by the original formula Kendall GT-1 race oil, now
being offered again under the Brad Penn brand name as Chuck
mentioned.   I don't believe you're likely to find a much better oil
for street performance use or racing, either way.    It's good
stuff.    www.bradpennracing.com

tony..