<VV> API and ZDDP

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon Mar 26 11:22:56 EST 2007

In a message dated 3/26/2007 3:47:05 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
lechevrier at earthlink.net writes:

that  discussion was last year, and
things have changed -- Delo 15W-40 is  commonly now available to the
retail consumer only as a CJ-4 oil, among  other things [do you know how
much ZDDP is in it?] -- lubricants are  changing fast in today's
marketplace and we need to stay abreast of those  changes.  Mobil 1
V-Twin 20W-50 at ten bucks a quart should not be  our only viable option.

Oh, Wow, oil again. So many words, so much confusion.

First we MUST differentiate between engine breakin and normal use
thereafter. Breakin also must be broken into two categories: that done by and at  the
auto factory and that done outside of the auto factories.

Factory breakin or runin if you prefer, is done on engines with exteremely
controlled conditions. Often using specially treated parts. They can do this
with just normal API rated oil and no additives.  When an engine today  leaves
the factory in a vehicle, it is essentially brokenin. No additional  breakin
is required. Witness the many brand new cars being driven above the  speed
limits without engine problems.

But breakin of all other than auto factory engines, such as any Corvair
engine being rebuilt requires a special camshaft breakin lube if the cam  was
changed. It makes little difference which API rated oil is used, the  important
thing is the added protection of the lube containing lots of ZDDP  among other
things. So rebuilt engines should always be brokenin with an  added camshaft
lube. Also following breakin procedure is important.

Now for all other conditions, such as normal driving after breakin, all we
need to do is to use an API oil rated SJ or SL.  Or if you choose, an SM  rated
oil that does not have the Starburst on the front of the container. It's  as
simple as that.

Now to answer Bill's question about ZDDP (see above). We will never know  how
much ZDDP is added to any oil anytime. That is because the amount of ZDDP is
NOT spec'd by the API. Without a spec, the added ZDDP can be anything.....
BUT  what IS spec'd and required is the amount of PHOSPHOROUS in the oil.   For
SJ and SL it is 0.10%. For SM without the Starburst, it is still the
same!!!!!  And for CJ-4 the spec is 0.12%, down from 0.14% for CI-4.

So using a CI-4 rated oil might give you the best protection, the other  oils
mentioned will do a perfectly good job too.

Regards,
Bob Helt