<VV> Re: 3 bad lamps at once

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 27 13:45:05 EST 2007

Probably not "three-at-once" -- probably one at a time over a period of
time when the headlights were not checked for proper functioning on both
high and low on a regular basis, like only driving in the daylight for a
year or two. Or maybe that dimmer switch that was replaced was bad and
not switching on the burned out pair to see that they didn't work
anymore -- don't recall any info on why the new dimmer switch in the
first place ...

I have had at least two rigs come into the shop over a period of many
years where the driver had claimed the headlights just went out all at
once and all they had was two bad lamps (older Ford pickups excluded -
that is a headlight switch failure - bad circuit breaker) -- it is a bit
of a head scratcher at first -- well, you see these folks driving around
with only one headlight all the time -- what do you think happens when
the other one burns out?

Now, back *before* the day when there were three brush generators (and
no regulators) if the battery connection came loose (happened rather
frequently) you'd get an extreme over voltage that would burn out
headlights -- you generally don't get that type of voltage out of an
alternator even if the regulator is dysfunctional -- if one has a
generator, maybe the regulator function should be checked -- I'd also
replace that fourth lamp.

Bill Strickland