<VV> Purists vs Customs - The Hatfields and The McCoys of Corvairland

Tamias Metis korvayrouille66 at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 00:28:10 EDT 2007

Where is Vince McMahon when you need him to promote this ongoing take no prisoners battle of the titans......  Stupidity,  Silly,    yes,  absolutely.     Good clean fun.     One person inquires about the practicality of swapping another powerplant in a Vair ....    Certainly nearly all would agree that  the Vair powertrain is a fine unit that would be best repaired/rebuilt for the most economical practical solution.   I too think so.     One with a very high level of mechanical engineering ability,  resources,  and time   might however find it feasible to do something a little different.   I emphasize  mechanical engineering , as Mr. Bodine, with his constant fine inventions (e.g. the Bodeanophone) and sixth grade education and psyfering abilities and all , might not be up to the task even though Jed could provide an unlimited bankroll.    Someone with the  right technical skills could ,  definitely, but, would be a challenge.     Hey, isn't that what makes the world
 interesting and fun -different strokes for different folks,  change it up , do it a little different,  see a red door and I wanna paint it black,  that kind of thing---Dream it, plan it ,  just make certain that you have the brainpower and skills necessary...  so that it won't be a bite off more than you can chew disaster.  If like most people, you are somewhere between ol Jethro and Albert Einstein and have serious doubts about if you could pull it off,  be prudent and follow the wisdom  of the  Vair experts and stick to the oem drivetrain  and  follow all generally accepted rules (i.e.  Viton O rings, Bolted Flywheels ,... etc)   in rebuilding the Vair .   Then if you wish,  make it your own, paint, wheels, stereo, seats, dash, A/C,   even  fuzzy dice and a paint scheme exactly like the Partridge Family bus  if thats what makes you happy, would be far out.    Seriously,  there have been many outstanding  modified Vairs that are amazing.  Chalk up my vote as a modified
 fan over bone stock- nothing crazy, simply prefer better, more comfortable seats, non stock A/C, gauges, carbs,FI, elec fuel pump, and stereo, and seat belts.  There is someone on corvaircenter that has done an amazing job  installing led tail light assemblies from a big rig into a stock Corvair tail light housing giving stock appearance and improving visibility.  Guy also integrated a din radio chassis from a mid '90's Merc into a late dash where everything looks as if factory made.  Bone stock is like black and white movies and television---Gimme technicolor.   Here are a couple of Corsa emblems intended for mid 90's and '02 and later South American Chevrolets/Vauxhalls that would look good on a Vair:   check out ebay # 170106367094   and  ebay# 170106367121  for a different one.  Someone pointed these out to me and said that these are normally available always, so no need to bid them up.  Just thought you might want to see them.   The Isley Brothers  sang:   It's Your
 Thing,  do what you wanna do.... It's your Corvair....  ...If It Makes You Happy (S. Crow)  and lastly to borrow  a bit from the ol Partridge Family.... Come On , Get Happy !    Tamias  Metis