<VV> Purists vs Customs - The Hatfields and The McCoys ofCorvairland

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Tue May 1 18:39:59 EDT 2007

I think you are wrong painting "bone stock" with that comparison. Being
part of the Stock Corvair Group, I find that stock becomes VERY
fascinating, when you start looking at the possibilities that make up
the option sheet. I've been doing a bit of documentation, with the aid
of Dave Newell, on various options, trim, etc. and putting it all down
into Excel spreadsheets. Just the historical research is fun, looking
thru old dealer books, finding documents on what was available with
what, and when.

And then when you start loading up a car with possible options, things
really get interesting. On my own '67 Monza 4door, I have managed to
create, using a fairly well equipped car to begin with, a really loaded
car. With the color combination and equipment, it's a really beautiful
and interesting car. I displayed it last year at our first SCG event,
and had many nice comments on it. BTW, among other options, it has the
deluxe steering wheel option, a rare item that was only available for
that one year (with a different design the next year). It's IMHO the
prettiest steering wheel ever put in a Corvair, and rivals even the best
custom wheels out there. So is stock booring? Only if you let it.

-Mark

Tamias Metis wrote:

>  There is someone on corvaircenter that has done an amazing job  installing led tail light assemblies from a big rig into a stock Corvair tail light housing giving stock appearance and improving visibility.  Guy also integrated a din radio chassis from a mid '90's Merc into a late dash where everything looks as if factory made.  Bone stock is like black and white movies and television---Gimme technicolor.

The Isley Brothers  sang:   It's Your