<VV> Modified vs. stock Corvairs

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Tue May 1 17:58:19 EDT 2007

Your statistics are skewed. That's a bit like saying that 100% of all
people born before 1800 are dead, so it's better to be born after that.

To properly address the REAL issue here, one would have to eliminate the
vast numbers of cars that were bought, driven, and then scrapped as part
of the "natural" cycle of production cars. What you have left are, for
the purpose of labeling them, survivors. Some were saved as
"collectable" cars, some as long-term ownership cars, some as
resurrected cars that got a second chance (because someone liked what
they saw), etc. Mostly these would have survived through to the late
'70's or so, after "natural attrition" had eliminated most all of the
"primary" (or first) group.

It's only this "survivor" group, and it's percentage of attrition that
would bear meaningful statistics. From those that are presently around,
I think a good percentage are presently stock or near stock, simply from
restorers' interests being in that direction. The existing modified cars
are plentiful, but the question then becomes, how many are still around,
compared to the total number that were modified from the "survivors"
group? THAT is the statistical question that would be most meaningful to
answer, but it is one that is probably impossible to document, let alone
answer.

-Mark