<VV> (no subject) - clutch oil

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 16:08:29 EDT 2007

 > > You've got it this far apart, replace the bellhousing seal 'just
because'. The snout seal is a given.

Some folks seem to think doubling up the snout seal is a good way to go
-- no personal opinion that it is necessary, but just opening the door
for discussion ...

Actually, I don't worry much about oil on the inside of the bell
housing. It is oil on the clutch disc that gets me excited, and then is
it a simple matter to just burn it off -- just not too often.  No seal
is perfect, and over time the little bit of seepage that gets past these
seals is flung outward by rotational forces -- meanwhile, leaking crank
bolts can oil the disc rather nicely, especially if the weep holes in a
late model flywheel are plugged. Dripping leaks are excessive.

And yes, the Nose generally Knows if it is a hypoid gear lube or motor oil.

Bill S