<VV> What to do with old Corvair seat belts? Fun!

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu May 3 08:38:19 EDT 2007

Back about 1990 I visited a sled type crash facility at the University
Of Virginia. It used a sled to mimick the interior portion of a car
instead of a whole car. The test just finished at the time was seat
belts as removed from junked cars. These included sun damaged, dirty,
worn, etc, examples. Even the shredded ones (where the retractor had
mangled them) were holding well in the tests. It was not the result the
grad students were expecting! Yes, there was a degredation in holding
power, but not enough to effect the outcome of injuries in a crash. At
the time they were testing the effect a crash had on occupants in wheel
chairs (think transport vans) and how to better secure them.

Frank DuVal