<VV> Fan, alternator or pulley?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun May 6 14:16:53 EDT 2007

***Notice, human harm (loss of life, limb, eyesight, etc) can ocour from
the following advice****

One can use a long screwdriver to listen to bad bearings. Place the tip
of the screwdriver on the bearing housing and then CAREFULLY place your
ear to the handle without the screwdriver slipping and falling into the
rotating machinery. Note warnings before and after this advice. Notice,
if the housing is rotating and the shaft is standing still (blower
bearing & idler bearing are examples) then do not place tip on housing,
place it on the stationary shaft.

*****Those with long hair are advised to NOT use this method*****

*****Do not use this method if tired, unsure of reflexes, etc.******

A mechanics stethoscope can be purchased that will do the same thing,
and can be used with long hair.

Frank DuVal