<VV> ignition switch

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sun May 6 18:36:52 EDT 2007

So Thursday night before the Vair Fair I go to start the car to go get gas and I notice that my wife (who drives a Rampside often) has left the ignition switch in the "ACC" posiiton instead of "OFF".  Well, the car wouldn't start, no click, no nuthin.  I figure the battery's dead so I get the jumpers out and still nuthin.  Hmmm.   So I tell her we'll be taking the minivan to the Vair Fair (the Rampside was full of mulch).  A couple hours later I try to start it (just for grins) and whattayaknow, it starts.  So we drive for 3 hours Friday up to the show and then we have to stop to check the mappng software on the laptop and when we go to restart - nuthin.  Luckily we were on top of a hill so we roll-started.

I figured it was the switch getting hot and not working but working when it was cold.  I got a few dissenting opinions at the show but bought a NOS anyway.  I put it in and it seems to have fixed the problem.  The car started right up cold but it also started up after stopping for gas and after stopping at a rest stop after 2 hours of driving.

There were no outward signs of badness on the switch.  I haven't checked it out any yet to see If I can find anything wrong with it but I'd have to get it hot somehow to make it fail anyway.

mikeH
Seaford, VA