<VV> Question or two..

Kerry B deaconone at teleweb.net
Mon May 7 09:06:12 EDT 2007

Hi,

My car, when driving at 55 and up, at times will simply shut down. I
usually have warning that this may happen because the car will act like
it's starved for gas when taking off.  Pulling over to the side of the
road, activating the back-up electric fuel pump will get the car started
again. (car has both an inline backup electric pump and the usual
mechanical pump. Mechanical pump is new last fall.) Problem seems to
occure after driving for some time, though it was not hot out yesterday
so not sure if it can be a vapor lock.

I am not sure how to go about proving what the problem is. Am thinking
maybe an air leak in a fuel line. (though I haven't found any evidence
of a leak yet.)  Can the fuel pump rod be worn? (if so can it be removed
without disassembling part of the engine?

The electric fuel pump is  located behind the front cross member.  Gas
tank was replaced a few years ago. How should the gas tank vent? (I am
assuming that air needs to get into it as the fuel level drops??) Could
something be blocked? Has a new fuel filter.

Car: 1964 Turbo. Convertible...

Kerry B.