<VV> Question or two..

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon May 7 09:51:03 EDT 2007

Notes below:

Kerry B wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My car, when driving at 55 and up, at times will simply shut down. I
> usually have warning that this may happen because the car will act
> like it's starved for gas when taking off.  Pulling over to the side
> of the road, activating the back-up electric fuel pump will get the
> car started again. (car has both an inline backup electric pump and
> the usual mechanical pump. Mechanical pump is new last fall.) Problem
> seems to occure after driving for some time, though it was not hot out
> yesterday so not sure if it can be a vapor lock.

Vapor lock typically shows after a hot soak. i.e. after a run the car is
shut off for ~10 minutes. Car restarts fine but shuts off after the fuel
in the bowl burns up (~20 feet).

> I am not sure how to go about proving what the problem is. Am thinking
> maybe an air leak in a fuel line. (though I haven't found any evidence
> of a leak yet.)

If you have an air leak between the tank and electric pump, gas will
flow on the ground due to gravity. Very obvious. If the air leak is
after the electric pump, fuel will spill on the ground while the
electric pump is running!

> Can the fuel pump rod be worn? (if so can it be removed without
> disassembling part of the engine?

Fuel pump rod can be picked up after the mechanical pump is removed.
Very easy. I have never seen one worn out in length.

> The electric fuel pump is  located behind the front cross member.  Gas
> tank was replaced a few years ago. How should the gas tank vent? (I am
> assuming that air needs to get into it as the fuel level drops??)

The air goers into the tank through the fuel cap. Remove it and listen
for a sucking sound as the air rushes in if the cap is really really
stopped up. Or just run with the cap loose and see if the problem reocurs.

> Could something be blocked? Has a new fuel filter.
>
> Car: 1964 Turbo. Convertible...

Do you have the fuel return line in use?

Does the tachometer still read when cranking the engine when it does not
start? This is an easy way to check ignition (points) on a turbo. It
should be bouncing off the 0 rpm pin when cranking, not just staying still.

Frank DuVal