<VV> Fuel pump rod

Dennis FullerFuller fullerhotshotz at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 13:38:49 EDT 2007

About the question; "Do fuel pump rods wear?" Yes. I had this problem with "Rampy" once.
  I did all the usual things,changed the fuel pump and filter, checked for air leaks,changed fuel pump, blew out the gas lines, changed fuel pump,scratched my head,changed fuel pump,(I had a lot of fuel pumps). I finally took out the fuel pump and watched the pump rod while cranking the engine. It was barely moving. took it out and the end was worn and rounded off. I tried a different one and it barely moved also. The problem was the eccentric cam that pushes the rod up and down had worn a groove on the high side about 1/8" deep.Changing this requires lowering the back of the engine enough to remove the rear housing to get to the cam. If this is your problem, You may want to consider using the "backup" electric pump as your primary pump.You should remove the pump rod to prevent further damage, but there is still the problem of metal filings in the engine.