<VV> lifter tales-no corvair

Harry Yarnell hyarnell1 at earthlink.net
Mon May 7 16:19:41 EDT 2007

All this lifter 'chatter' is very timely.
Currently I'm working on a Caddy 4.9 with horrible internal clanking noises. Removing the air cleaner cover reveals black soot in one throttle body bore. By grounding #8 plug wire, all the noise went away. I think probably a burnt intake valve. (the noise was part backfire and mechanical clanking). In the teardown to get to the rear head, I discover #8 exhaust push rod had fallen down INTO the lifter. There was NO top (or cup seat) in the top of the lifter. Gone. Two other lifters had their seat clip missing, so their cups were just sitting there.
Where and why did they go? History of the car's unknown.
one of my colleagues thinks the engine was over reved and the valves floated.
Anybody else venture a guess?

harry yarnell
perryman garage and orphanage
hyarnell1 at earthlink.net