<VV> lifter tales-no corvair

Jim Bannister jimster1 at earthlink.net
Mon May 7 16:44:02 EDT 2007

The only way to get there from here is to wildly float the valves so there
is no longer pushrod pressure on the lifter.  Years ago I witnessed a
similar event with a friends Ferd 289.  His gas pedal stuck and for some
unknown reason, he threw in the clutch.  Hella noise and then silence as the
motor windmilled to a stop.  Expecting the worst, we pulled the intake
manifold and lo and behold, all the pushrods and lifters were lying loose in
the valley.  We put everything back together and it ran fine.

Note to AeroNed:  this happened behind the barracks at McConnell.

Jim B
.
Where and why did they go? History of the car's unknown.
one of my colleagues thinks the engine was over reved and the valves
floated.
Anybody else venture a guess?