<VV> lifter tales-no corvair

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon May 7 19:50:37 EDT 2007

At 01:19 PM 5/7/2007, Harry  Yarnell wrote:
>All this lifter 'chatter' is very timely.
>Currently I'm working on a Caddy 4.9 with horrible internal clanking
>noises. Removing the air cleaner cover reveals black soot in one
>throttle body bore. By grounding #8 plug wire, all the noise went away.

Ooohhh...  the exhaust valve isn't opening.    Seen this before
several times... klink-pop noises.

>  I think probably a burnt intake valve.

Nope...

>(the noise was part backfire and mechanical clanking). In the
>teardown to get to the rear head, I discover #8 exhaust push rod had
>fallen down INTO the lifter.

Exhaust valve not opening...   makes an interesting noise, don't

Maybe over-revving, floating valves?   However, I'd suspect an intake
to float first and rattle the lifter thus popping the snap ring
off.    Maybe it was just wear and tear.   Or something.

tony..