<VV> Re: Lifter noise

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Mon May 7 16:57:39 EDT 2007

I chased "lifter noises" for years on my '66 EFI car.  Three (?) sets  of
lifters and enough adjustments to wear out a couple sets of rocker arm nuts
later, I found out that the real culprit was weak valve springs.  The  lifters
easily held the valves off of their seats after a correct "cold"  adjustment.
When I set the valves to about a millionth of a turn past  "no-tick", things
were quiet but the engine wouldn't rev.  I broke / bent  several pushrods along
the way.  A new set of springs, properly shimmed and  all ticks, breakage, poor
idle quality, and so-on all went away.  Maybe you  just broke an inner or
outer valve spring?
Craig