Fw: <VV> 140 pinging

larry at forman.net larry at forman.net
Wed May 9 18:28:25 EDT 2007

Here are some ideas to try:
1. Check at how much vacuum the vacuum advance arm starts moving and
adjusting the timing.  It should not start pulling until about 8 or 9
inches of vacuum.   My guess is it starts before 5, as nearly every one
I have ever looked at has weakened internal springs.  So the
"adjustment" is to remove the vacuum advance can, place it on the open
jaws of a vice (two bricks can work in a pinch) and take 5/8 inch and
9/16 inch deep sockets and deepen the depression around the vacuum
nipple about 1/16 inch or so.   Check with a MightyVac or other vacuum
source with a vacuum gauge to see when you pound on the surface and
compress the spring.  Do the adjustment slowly checking as you go.
This will reduce the onset of vacuum advance and might help you.
Reinstall the vacuum advance can and go for a run to see if the pinging
is gone.

2. Really should have been #1, check the cylinder compression and make
sure the engine is in good shape.  Also perform a tune-up with new
plugs, wires, air cleaners, etc.  I like Bosch 7502 aka W8AC Super
Copper plugs.  Gap at stock gap for starters.  No amount of carb or
distributor adjustment can compensate for a tired engine, bad plug
wires, etc.

3. Check that your accelerator pumps are working properly.  Often the
cups are heat set and don't pump well or much at all.  You can also
drill a hole 1/2 inch inboard on the accelerator pump lever arms on
both primary carbs to improve the response of the accelerator pump
action.  You will need to cross drill the linkage to install a very
small cotter key since the normal linkage clip will not work unless you
shorten the arm to match the location of the new hole.  Leaving the arm
the stock length you can always move the linkage back to the original
location if desired.  Some people drill up to three holes at various
distances inboard of the stock location to provide several adjustments
from normal to really hot accelerator pump action.

HTH,
Larry