<VV> Trailer Incident

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Thu May 10 22:27:36 EDT 2007

And I know why. He made several foolish mistakes. 1)He loaned it to his
friend to drive, who was inexperienced in towing, 2)the truck was an
S-10 Blazer, and totally outclassed by what it was towing, 3)the trailer
had no brakes, and finally, 4)the trailer had no sway control.

I have always said that you can never overbuild your rig, when towing.
First and foremost is that anything short of a FULL-sized truck is too
small for towing a car on a trailer, even an open trailer. Sure, it can
be done, but why fight with the rig, and possibly risk an incident?

The minimum I would consider safe (as far as a car trailer, open or
closed) is a full-sized truck, the longer the wheelbase the better, and
nothing shorter than a Suburban. Even full-sized vans are questionable
(according to a friend who tried it - then switched to a Suburban). And
ALWAYS have sway control AND brakes on a car trailer. And the trailer
better have two axles, as well.

If all you have to tow with is an intermediate or (God forbid) small
pickup, then have at least two wheels of the towed car on the ground
(either towbar or sling).

Towing is not for anyone with tight finances. As I've always said, if
you have to ask the price (of towing), you can't afford it.

-Mark