<VV> carbon buildup

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri May 11 08:09:27 EDT 2007

I can decarbon a motor with water. It sort of steam cleans the carbon
from the combustion chamber. On a Corvair you do one head at a time. I
have done this many times over the years on many engines.

Here is a how to do it clipped from a webpage out in the etherland:

***If* you really want to clean the carbon out of your engine follow
these simple steps. Fill an empty soda bottle with water. Remove your
air cleaner. Start your engine. While using one hand to control the
throttle, trickle the water into the carb or throttle body with the
other while holding your thumb over the bottle opening. Keep the engine
rpm's up so that the engine doesn't die. *Make sure that you don't pour
the water in too fast! Water doesn't compress and if you pour too much
water in, severe engine damage can result!* White smoke from the exhaust
is normal. If you have a port fuel injected car, you obviously won't be
able to use this method, but I have had success with connecting a vacuum
hose to a port at the base of the throttle body and sticking the other
end of the hose into the bottle of water. The vacuum of the engine will
suck the water in, creating the same effect. This will clean out even
the most stubborn carbon, by 'steam cleaning' your cylinders.

GM also sells Top Engine Cleaner in pour and aerosol cans. TEC you add
while the engine is running, let it stall and soak overnight if possible.

 From the teaching old dogs new tricks department, if you do this
"steam" cleaning just before tearing an engine down, the pistons and
heads will be cleaner to rebuild!

Frank Duval