<VV> Towing setups (long)

Louis C. Armer,Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Fri May 11 12:02:36 EDT 2007

Well the TLH of BBRT fame almost got the story right .<GGG> Since the
first towing of Darth Vair with my
old (now retired) "Buttercup", my 1976 Caddy Coupe deVille, I have
used an equalizer hitch for my towing
vehicle. The equalizer hitch's primary function is to spread the
gross weight of the trailer and tow vehicle equally
among all axles involved. In accomplishing this the equalizer hitch
assembly also helps prevent front end dipping
of the tow vehicle when braking and rear end drop when accelerating.
It also helps to prevent bottoming of the
hitch jack or  the tail end of the trailer when negotiating steeply
graded ingress and egress from parking lots of gas stations and restaurants.
      All of the above is the primary function, but I feel very
strongly that that the equalizer bars also prevent sway in most cases.
Both in Buttercup and now the GMC Envoy XL (both vechicles were/are
129"+ wheelbases) I have found very little need for steering
correction when passing or being passed by Semi's or large motor
homes. Since my trailer is an open trailer, I don't have much
problems with windy days effecting the profile and I have noticed on
a few occasions that the Envoy will need small corrections
on windy days where the winds are coming in sideways against it's
slab sided porfile.
      Most if not all equalizer hitches come with an additional heavy
triangular casting area with a hole in the center of the area.
This is where you add the anti-sway bar that helps prevent the sudden
sideways movement of the trailer. These are most often
used when you are towing an enclosed trailer. TLH will do fine with
the equalizer hitch as will most of you with open trailers.
Drawtite is my setup and it includes a drop-stepped hitch which
allows you to have a perfectly horizontal tow situation regardless
of the height of your SUV, Truck or car hitch tow bar.

Chuck Armer aka FrontMan
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
At 07:34 AM 5/11/2007, you wrote:
>I too have seen several accidents involving towing. Almost became
>one myself way back when I bought the 66 V8 Vair and towed it back
>from Wilmington NC.
>At the time I did not own a truck so I borrowed my son's little
>Izuzu four wheel drive piece and rented a tow dolly and off we went.
>On the return trip with the car on the dolly I found out twice that
>any speed above 50 MPH would induce the "tail wagging the dog"
>trick! Damn scary! I promised myself I would never use a dolly if at
>all possible. I know, that small short wheelbase truck didn't have
>enough "ass"  to keep things stable. That was many years ago.
>Now I have a half ton truck (a minimum size vehicle for towing) with
>a towing package and a real trailer. The trailer is an all steel 18
>foot with dual axles. Originally it had brakes on one axle but I put
>a set on the other axle too. I also opted for the uprated tires. is
>a good rig and tows nicely. I am now upgrading again to a sway
>control hitch. Originally that Charmer guy from Hotlanta extolled
>the virtues of a sway control hitch to me as I helped him unload the
>UFO Darth Vair.
>This past Feburary Bob Coffin who has a LOT of towing experience and
>I used his truck and my trailer to take the Sunoco Corvair to the
>Performance Workshop in Dayton. He brought along his sway control
>hitch for the tow. Of course with Bob's big Dodge diesel it did not
>even know it had anything behind it!
>I have since ordered and recieved a sway control hitch assembly and
>hope to try it out Saturday while towing the car to an autocross event.
>I'll report later.
>
>Rick Norris
>CORSA Lifer
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>---- BBRT <chsadek at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Be careful out there!  around 4:30 today, Truck towing a utility?
> trailer had trailer get loose on the westbound span of the Bay
> Bridge. .  Big trucks and other cars trying to miss it, had
> accidents on the Bridge, westbound over the Chesapeake Bay towards
> Annapolis. Three fatalities.  Two weeks ago, an open trailer with
> ride-on lawn mower either got totally loose or loose enough to come
> into oncoming traffic, tearing up front, hood, fender, of an SUV
> and smashing windshield. Fortunately I got there late... but before
> the police and fire. No injuries other than to underwear of SUV driver.
> >
> > Why tell you this? I have personally seen six accidents over the
> years involving towing something.  Pay attention and don't take
> chances with an overweight trailer, or load or a light weight
> vehicle which can't really handle what you are towing, or not
> properly fastening and safety-chaining your load.
> >> Chuck S
> > BBRT

CORSA Member , CORSA Tri-membership Chairman
Corvair Atlanta Member, Corvair Atlanta BOD
Corvanatics Member, SECC Member
1965 Corsa Coupe, 1964  Greenbrier, 1966 Monza Convertible
1966 WTBRT #112 xcrosser 1/2 owner
http://carmerjr.home.mindspring.com/