<VV> Trailer Incident

ricknorris at suddenlink.net ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Fri May 11 07:34:16 EDT 2007

I too have seen several accidents involving towing. Almost became one myself way back when I bought the 66 V8 Vair and towed it back from Wilmington NC.
At the time I did not own a truck so I borrowed my son's little Izuzu four wheel drive piece and rented a tow dolly and off we went. On the return trip with the car on the dolly I found out twice that any speed above 50 MPH would induce the "tail wagging the dog" trick! Damn scary! I promised myself I would never use a dolly if at all possible. I know, that small short wheelbase truck didn't have enough "ass"  to keep things stable. That was many years ago.
Now I have a half ton truck (a minimum size vehicle for towing) with a towing package and a real trailer. The trailer is an all steel 18 foot with dual axles. Originally it had brakes on one axle but I put a set on the other axle too. I also opted for the uprated tires. is a good rig and tows nicely. I am now upgrading again to a sway control hitch. Originally that Charmer guy from Hotlanta extolled the virtues of a sway control hitch to me as I helped him unload the UFO Darth Vair.
This past Feburary Bob Coffin who has a LOT of towing experience and I used his truck and my trailer to take the Sunoco Corvair to the Performance Workshop in Dayton. He brought along his sway control hitch for the tow. Of course with Bob's big Dodge diesel it did not even know it had anything behind it!
I have since ordered and recieved a sway control hitch assembly and hope to try it out Saturday while towing the car to an autocross event.
I'll report later.

Rick Norris
CORSA Lifer