<VV> Used 12 plate oil cooler - not so cool

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat May 12 16:26:28 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/12/2007 11:52:51 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
contactsmu at sbcglobal.net writes:

Maybe I  AM jinxed.  I have four of them currently, one from the
>  original engine (also on during the original meltdown after the
>  first rebuild), one I bought during an auction at our club
>  meetings, one from a private individual on vv, and now one from a
> vendor; none of which I would trust on my rebuild as they all  have
> junk (ferrous junk) coming out of  them.
>

> Stephen U

Hi Stephan,
This is interesting.  I wonder how this is happening and whether,  maybe, it
is a common event.  It happened to me on my last rebuild, too,  but I didn't
think much about it until now.  I suppose that iron  (and  maybe alum too),
particles bypass the oil filter under cold starts and thick oil  conditions to
settle-out and lodge in the cooler. They then, probably, cause no  damage as
long as the cooler is not moved. But removing the cooler, cleaning it,  and
moving it around dislodges the particles and frees them up to cause  trouble.

Has anyone else encountered particles coming out of a cooler after being
cleaned and jiggled?

Regards,
Bob Helt