<VV> clutch slipping... I think

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon May 14 00:09:03 EDT 2007

Notes below:

Cash Case wrote:

> Hi guys. This has probably been asked before about a hundred times,
> but ... here's a hundred and one.
> I took my '65 Corsa out last week and had a great time. It has a few
> problems I noticed while adjusting the lifters.
> While accelerating I noticed what I'm pretty sure is the clutch
> slipping.

Test by putting the transmission in high gear while stading still,
engine running. Release the clutch normally and see if the engine
stalls, or clutch slips.

> My question is, Do I have to remove the engine and  transaxle to
> replace the clutch and fly wheel. Can I support the  transaxle and the
> engine and lower them six or eight inches and then  unbolt the
> transaxle and slide it forward. Then unbolt the flywheel  and put in
> the new clutch and flywheel.

You will need to support the engine and transaxle separately, or you
will not be able to slide them apart. But they need to be at the same
height or the input shaft will stick in the engine and then you need to
slide the transaxle 2 feet foward. Just drop it all the way out as a
unit, it will be easier. Or, the engine CAN be removed with the
transazle still in the car on a late model. I've done it many times this
way. Tricky to align the input shaft and turn the crankshaft to align
the splines, but it can be done.

> I know this sounds odd, but I live in an apartment and they will most
> assuredly frown on me removing the motor and transaxle.

Much better to do it at a club members location and not  your apartment.

> Another problem I found was at least a couple of the push rods are
> bent, but other than not spinning I don't think they will be a
> problem as long I'm not doing crazy stuff.

If crazy stuff is driving, then sure it will be fine if you don't drive
the car!  The bent push rods can keep bending, thus changing the valve
clearance. If only bent slightly, they can be straightened, but a used
one is a much better solution. I found more chipped push rods than bent
pushrods over the years. If the ball at either end has a chip, throw it
away.

> I have some other push  rods that are used. I don't know if there is
> anyone making new push  rods for these.

New are available.

> Can I use the used pushrods?

All the time.... They work great.