<VV> Stock Piston Breakage

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 14 16:58:31 EDT 2007

Chuck,
I think they're just doomed by the pounding from detonation.

My first "real" Corvair was a '66 110 - we won't count the '62 beach car
that pumped a quart of oil out the dipstick hole every 40 miles.  The '66
got great gas mileage (33+), but clattered all the time.  I assume it ran
lean.  I broke two pistons in it before I went forged.

I haven't had any recent bad experiences, since I've actually been running
the same '65 140 for the last 26 years.  It has had forged TRWs in it since
it broke the second stocker within the first year after I got the car.  I do
eventually learn from these experiences.  ;-)

Roger

?? When did 80mph on the highway stop being "normal" ??
You drive slower than that around here and you'll have everybody waving
their middle finger at you.