<VV> Re: (VV) Rear lower control arms

Jim McLott Jim.McLott at DOR.GA.GOV
Wed May 16 11:59:30 EDT 2007

<snip>
      Another fix is to lower the rear of the engine carefully to obtain
the alignment you need to get the bolts to line up.
<snip>
      Been there done that too often. I usually use a jack to raise the
suspension to get a better alignment, but is must be done very
carefully.
<snip>

I've tried lowering the rear of the engine and it does make it less
difficult.  Not easy, mind you, just less difficult.

I've also used a floor jack under the suspension.  A long drift to help
line up the holes is helpful, too.  My usual procedure is to jack up the
rear suspension and try to get the holes to line up.  When they don't,
lower the rear suspension and try again.  Repeat until frustrated.
Quit, have a cold refreshing adult beverage of your choice, and call it
a day.  Come back tomorrow and try again.  It may take a few days, but
there will come a time when Jupiter aligns with Mars and so do the bolt
holes.  When that happens, you'll be amazed at how easily it all fits
together.

Whatever you do, don't try to force a bolt that's *almost* lined up.
It's easy to strip the threads in the differential.  DAMHIK.

Jim McLott & Christine, the 1966 Monza convertible wonder-car
Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta, Heart of GA Corvairs, and Group Red
(ret.)
http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/groupred/mclott.htm