<VV> found cause of damaged piston, and is there a dipstick tube o-ring?

Ray Rodriguez reray at echoes.net
Thu May 17 13:24:27 EDT 2007

I found the answer to why I have a smiley face on my #1 piston top....  The "lock ring" or "retainer clip" is missing off one of the lifters.  The lifters and cam are in new condition so I hate to install a new set but I dont know what brand or type the lifters are so I cant very well replace just the one.  I'm hoping to find a way to just get the clip and reinstall it.  I also checked the pushrods etc on that cylinder and found no other signs of damage.

I pulled the oil dipstick tube out because it had apparently been leaking... is there an o-ring or other type of gasket for the dipstick?  I have the clarks complete engine gasket set but its hard to figure out what goes where... I have the chassis shop manual and assembly manual but have a hard time finding what I'm looking for.. couldnt find the dipstick tube in either one.

What is the best way to prevent dipstick tube leaks?

Ray Rodriguez