<VV> Need HELP ! Spyder won't start

larry at forman.net larry at forman.net
Fri May 18 18:38:55 EDT 2007

Hi Ron,
I agree with Lonny about possibly being fuel starvation and a bad fuel
pump.  You might have damaged the diaphram when you manually primed the
float bowls.  It does not take much movement to get the pump working,
but depending upon where the lobe is, you might over stress the
diaphram.

My recommendation for the future is to get an electric fuel pump so
you can prime the carb quickly and easily.  You could also fabricate a
fitting to attach a fuel pump pressure/vacuum gauge and measure the
fuel pump pressure to see if it is working.  Alternatively you could
disconnect the line going to the carb and fasten a hose going into a
catch basin.  Be very careful doing these things as raw fuel spurting
around a hot engine or live high voltage could cause a fire.  I
recommend always having a fire extinguisher handy when doing some of
these fuel experiments.

Good luck,

Larry