<VV> Fuel Pump Pressure issues

Jack Kean keanproducts at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 19 11:36:59 EDT 2007

I am chasing carburetor problems on my recently rebuilt 140 hp, and one of the issues is that I have gas dripping out of one of the venturi clusters at idle. I lowered the float level on both primaries, and saw the problem go from one side to the other. Now I have attached a fuel pressure gauge (in place of one of the secondary inlet lines) and it shows 8 (!!!) PSI at 1000 rpm. Which seems way, way to high for this application. This is a new pump from one of the vendors. It is not leaking gas in any way, but seems to be putting out way to much pressure. I remember a thread where someone talked about weakening the spring in the fuel pump. That seems like a reasonable solution. I wonder how to do that? Installing a regulator seems ridiculous in a situation like this. I also do not want to install an electric pump.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
jack kean