<VV> Flywheel de-part-ure

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon May 21 22:47:15 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/21/2007 7:32:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Vairtec at optonline.net writes:

>You  hear stoies about flywheel blow-ups Now I know why you need a
>scatter  sheild in a front engined car.

Bruce Carlton blowed his up real good on  the superspeedway at Pocono
last year.  Just tore the back of the car  apart!  We never did find
all the pieces (there were many) and I  figured they burned up on re-entry.

--Bob

Another benefit of racing the rear-engined Corvair! In 1965, at the top of
first gear, I pushed in the clutch on my 1955 Chevy - the one with the 302,
Borg-Warner T-10, 5.13 rear end gears and no scattershield - and the clutch blew
 up. The parts kind of scattered in all directions. Some pieces went a half
a block, a couple came up into the passenger compartment. One piece  shattered
three of the four major bones in my right foot, clipped my forehead  for a
slight scratch, then punched a dent in the roof. The flywheel  did not let go,
otherwise my right foot might have been destroyed. Only a few  months in a cast
ensued. My trailered 94 Camaro C/P car has a Lakewood  scattershield
installed over the Aluminum flywheel and Centerforce clutch. Once  bitten, twice shy!
It might be worth wrapping a drag racing transmission blanket  around that
Corvair bellhousing for those High rpm racers.-  Seth Emerson