<VV> seat belt crossover

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Tue May 22 15:07:38 EDT 2007

<"With bucket seats, the inner
belt half is anchored behind the opposite seat."  So, if a passenger is
present the belts will cross one another.  I only looked at the '66 manual
(P 19) on this issue because I happen to have one handy.  I have no idea if
the EM manuals make reference to this particular anomaly.>

Well, technically, no, at least in regard to the '62 and '63 manuals because
the manuals themselves to do not mention seat belts.  However, if the optional
seat belts were installed, there was a card board insert provided for the
owner's manual that instructs users to utilize the inboard receptacle part of the
buckle that is fastened to the floor behind the other seat (not one's own
seat) just as you described.  I don't believe that the instruction is limited to
bucket seats, however.

I've always wonder as to the reason for this and thought, perhaps, it might
make sense for '62 and earlier Corvairs that did not have safety door latches
because this set up would appear to be more likely to limit lateral movement of
a belted driver/passenger out the door if it popped open during impact.  But
that's just speculation on my part.

~Bill Stanley