<VV> Ignition weirdness

Jim Bannister jimster1 at earthlink.net
Fri May 25 02:53:34 EDT 2007

            Calling on ignition expertise.  I had my '66 turbovert out for a
top down cruise today and something strange happened.  Once, while
accelerating in third and once in fourth, the car bucked once, really hard.
I was totally surprised by the jolt.  It was as though something killed the
ignition for a moment and then switched it back on.  It didn't last even a
second.  I don't know for sure, but I was getting some, not all, boost at
the time.  I'm using a Pertronix 1 and matching coil.  The Pertronix is
wired correctly, getting a full 12 V.  I'm trying to remember, but last year
I had a Pertronix die and IIRC, the symptoms started this way.  Is there any
way to kill a Pertronix?  If the problem is not the Pertronix, does anybody
have any ideas.  Just the day before it pulled happily to 6000 RPM with 10
lbs of boost.

Thanks in advance, Jim