<VV> Re: Rear engined trains - (no Corvair)

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Fri May 25 07:47:40 EDT 2007

Hello Dennis,

What you are actually observing is distributed power.  Because modern
locomotives have become so powerful--typically 4000 to 6000 HP each--the
limits have been reached with regard to coupler strength, management of
slack and brake control (using 120 year old air brake technology). With
modern computer and remote radio control, the mid-train or end train units
can be operated to control slack and apply brakes to sections of the train
for more efficient operation.  Think of it as two or more shorter trains
running right behind each other that just happen to be coupled together,
with the following trains operated by remote control from the lead unit.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI